Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Mindful Monday - Refreshment

This morning, the idea came to me of mindfulness as a sort of real life auto-refresh. Admittedly, it's not the most elegant of metaphors, but I think it kinda works. If I sit at my computer and check email when the page has not been refreshed recently, I won't be acting on the best information available, so I may devote unnecessary energy to a problem which has already been resolved or miss something more important that just happened.

Now that my computer (another metaphor...) is older and the memory is often over-taxed, clicking the refresh icon isn't always enough. Sometimes, I have to restart in order to get things moving again.

I'm not saying we should be afraid to walk away from our computers or cell phones for fear we will miss something; I'm suggesting there is considerable value in finding ways to tune in to what is happening in the here-and-now and that if we want to function well, we need to refresh ourselves regularly and restart occasionally.

Last January, I set some intentions for 2014 and decided to use this blog as a weekly check-in, to track progress on my goals. My central focus for the year was (and is) mindfulness, so many of my resolutions had a mindfulness component, such as a daily meditation practice and more mindful eating and moving. My list was fairly long, and I soon discovered that I couldn't consistently tackle everything at the same time.

Now half a year beyond those winter resolutions, some still resonate while others have faded in value to me. I could double down on my original list, or I could refresh the screen and consider whether a shift in some of my January priorities may, in fact, be perfectly appropriate by June.

A subtle but important lesson which mindfulness is teaching me is that, while goals still have their place because many worthwhile endeavors take considerable time to accomplish, it's unwise to hold those goals too tightly. We learn new things. The landscape changes. Priorities shift.

If God (or any wise and trusted source) gives us clear guidance on January 1 to head down a particular path and we become so excited that we immediately vow to spend the rest of our lives plowing ahead on that course to the exclusion of all else, is that the best approach? What if we instead set out on that same path, but in a more mindful way, continuing to listen for guidance while noticing what happens as we go along and pausing for refreshment from time to time? The answer seems obvious when you spell it out that way, but not when we are immersed in all too common self-defeating habits.

I like the word refreshment and the images evoked by it: splashing in a crystal clear pool or enjoying a cool drink of clean water... perhaps a long satisfying nap or walk in nature. Even something as simple as a smile or beautiful photograph can be refreshing. I have come to regard journaling, meditation practice, devotional time, and gratitude as essential forms of refreshment for me.

Taking these steps is more than just a matter of comfort or wanting to feel pampered. When we are overdue for refreshment, we become difficult to deal with and no longer think clearly. Communication is labored; exchanges become gridlocked. Rather than opening to new possibilities, we dig in, categorically refusing to reconsider our positions in any way. We operate from fear, resentment, obligation, and judgment. It's not a healthy place to be, but sadly this posture has become commonplace, as any political or religious discourse in the public square will quickly confirm.

I'm happy to report that this past weekend was quite refreshing for me. I had some wonderful meals and got to watch fireworks with someone I love. I also spent time gazing at the mountains and did a little more meditating than usual. None of these activities made my to do list any shorter or eliminated my concerns about the future, but all have helped to renew my strength and re-align my thinking while reminding me what truly matters most in my life.
How do you refresh or completely start over when you need to? Do you have a mental list to consult of effective ways to consciously do so? Ideally, the time to formulate such a list is well before we are desperate for it. I invite your comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment