Friday, January 3, 2014

Mindless Already

Oh, the irony. A mere three days after declaring 2014 to be the year I will focus on mindfulness, I absentmindedly misplaced my phone. No, not for brief moment. I spent the better part of 30 minutes searching a small and relatively clean condominium where I knew the phone HAD to be, before I finally discovered it. I had accidentally made my cell phone into the bed.

In my defense, the colors of the phone's case and of the quilt on the bed are quite similar. Also, having read an article yesterday which suggested that iPhones will charge faster while in airplane mode, my phone was set in such a way that it would not register calls, texts, or emails. So I couldn't just ask someone to call my phone and listen for the ring.


I was greatly relieved when I finally came upon the small purple rectangle, as I was running out of places to look and starting to feel nervous about the clothes in the wash, since that was one of the few places I hadn't investigated. (I also realized, while pondering the gravity of a waterlogged phone, that we have no uncooked rice in the condo.)

I'm counting this experience as confirmation that mindfulness is indeed something it behooves me to work on (not that there was any doubt). It feels a bit like the first ding in a new car. Now I can drive around with less worry about what might be the very first scratch on the finish of my new 2014 mindfulness practice. As it happens, perfectionism is one of the very things I want to be mindful of, so I intend to carry on with my plan for the new year, imperfectly and without apology.

How are your resolutions coming along? If you chose a word or theme for the year, how is that going? I know it's quite early, but I'm still interested to hear how the new year feels to you.

6 comments:

  1. That's why they call it "practicing mindfulness" not mastering it. And if your head is like mine (busily chewing up ideas new and old 24 hours a day) it will take time...and practice

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new year feels promising, although I have not made any resolutions. I suppose I have some time, but mindfulness should be one of my more important priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about 2014 feeling promising, Dorie. I hope it continues to feel that way.

      Historically, I have better luck with resolutions I truly feel ready to make than with those I made because I felt I should. But of course, we can make a resolution any time. Aside from tradition, there's no real magic in January 1.

      Delete
  3. My resolution was inspired by the book 29 days of giving to give for 29 days and to adopt a mindset of trust in abundance -- not easy for me with my depression-era parents who are pretty open in their belief that charitable giving is for suckers and we should all hang onto everything we can. Long story about the woman and the book, but just to say that the author is a very flawed character, which somehow makes it easier to me to commit to this. The things that are given do not need to be big, the giving just needs to be regular and accompanied by a joyful mindset. So far I'm 5 days into this and have 1.) made several end-of-year donations 2.) Made 2 meals for my parents 3.) helped my son get his car really clean (believe me, he needed this) 4.) Took my sister to the airport to catch a 5:15 a.m. flight 5.) Made a donation at the grocery store to Special Olympics. The giving needs to be journaled/recorded so I can keep you posted, which will help me be accountable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great resolution! I'll have to check out that book. What is the significance of the 29 days?

      Delete