Monday, January 27, 2014

Mindfulness Monday: Time to Check In

How's it going? Are there goals you've been working toward or impressions of 2014 you'd like to share?

I said last Monday that I was feeling pretty good about most of my new year's resolutions: more mindful eating and including more "green" smoothies in my diet, daily meditation for at least 5 minutes (I've been doing 12.) and taking a slow-and-steady, non-perfectionistic approach. All of those observations still hold true.

I also said I wanted to step up my exercise and clutter clearing. I've definitely spent some time on clutter this past week, and, while it may look like a drop in the bucket, I'm encouraged to have made what progress I have. In addition to clearing some of the clutter in our home, we are gradually trying to go through my mom and dad's things with an eye toward selling dad's (large, incredibly overstuffed) house in the spring or summer, so my husband and I made a little field trip this weekend to fill up a few boxes and trash bags, there. I'm sure there will be MANY more such outings to come, but it felt good to at least start the process, officially.

 
I confess that I've made far less progress in the exercise department. I have been doing a few yoga stretches, which is not a bad start, but I need more aerobic activity, which I find especially difficult to do in the winter. I got in a great walk today and even did some yard work, as the temps climbed into the 50s! But there's a winter storm watch in our area tomorrow. And I need to have my dad at the eye surgeon's by 6am, so Tuesday doesn't look all that promising for a work-out. By my next check in, a week from today, I intend to have more aerobic progress to report.

With the rather glaring exception of exercise, however, things are going pretty well. I'm finding that meditation is becoming more a part of my routine and less of a debate with myself. I still have lots of thoughts scampering about as I sit quietly, but I'm less distressed by that than I was at the beginning, and the time seems to pass more quickly than it used to. I'm also feeling less reactive, in general, than I was a month ago. I suspect there is a relationship between my mindfulness practice and this perceived shift.

How about you? Feel free to check in using the comments below in whatever way is most helpful to you. You may want to report on your progress, or goal ideas, or how you are feeling about things, nearly a month into 2014. I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. With the cold weather I have concentrated on doing some de-cluttering myself. Also trying meditation. Yes, finding it difficult to remain still, but working on it. As for exercise I am waiting for warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may follow your lead, Dorie, and not worry so much about exercise right now! Of all the weeks to decide to step up my exercise, I would choose the one with the worst winter weather we've had in a couple of years. Oh, well, de-cluttering and meditation are good things. :)

      Delete