Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mindful Monday - Spring Cleaning

Plants of Promise Garden - North Carolina Arboretum
For my Monday check-in, I'm happy to report that, although there's snow in the forecast tonight, there have been many signs of spring this past week: lots of robins, daffodils, cherry blossoms, forsythia and other colorful flowers. I even managed to do a little spring cleaning!


Unfortunately, I've discovered that very few of my spring clothes fit. I've been walking regularly and eating more carefully for the past week, but it will take more than a few days to solve this dilemma, so mindful eating will be a priority for a while.

I've been sitting for mindfulness or insight meditation at least 20 minutes daily, sometimes adding a second guided meditation at another point in the day. My Lenten practice this year is to spend time with nature every day, and on three occasions I've been able to go to the North Carolina Arboretum to walk and meditate, which was really wonderful.

I haven't read as much as I'd like to, but I've made good use of books on CD, since I've been in the car a lot. I want to do more writing, as well. Once the warm weather stabilizes it would be nice to write outside.


Mom at Magnolia Plantation & Gardens
Flowers and gardens always remind me of mom, which is bittersweet, since this is the first spring she isn't here to enjoy with us. Last March I took her to Charleston. At the time, we hoped she would have better days ahead. Once it became clear that was not the case, one of the first things she said was that she was glad we had taken our trip.

I still think of mom every day and get teary from time to time. So many of my friends are going through this process with a parent, and I think of them often, as well. I'm trying to learn to just sit with whatever emotions come up in my meditation sessions--neither pushing them away nor clinging to them. Learning to observe emotions (and other things) without judgment is going to take more practice, but I do feel a sense of progress.

How about you? What's on your mind as spring arrives? Are there goals or practices you are working on or considering? Please feel free to check in, using the comments here.

2 comments:

  1. Lenora, have you read "Finding Your Way in a Wild New World" by Martha Beck? I listened to a good bit of it on CD (which I got from the library) while driving to south Georgia this weekend. I think you would find it interesting. She talks about "dropping into wordlessness", which got me thinking about mindfulness in a new way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried several times to reply to this comment last month and couldn't make it post, so I'm trying again. Thanks for the recommendation, Margaret! I have read a couple of Martha Beck books, but I'm not familiar with that one, so I'll have to check it out.

      Delete